ONE HEALTH CONCEPT TO TACKLE ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE
24 May 2011During a conference in Copenhagen on May 17 the Nordic Council launched the One Health concept to tackle the growing problems of antibiotic resistance. The One Health concept is based on the idea that human and animal diseases are so closely interlinked that efforts to combat them need to be co-ordinated.
Andreas Heddini, Executive Director of ReAct, who was one of the invited speakers, highlighted the speed at which antibiotics currently on the market are losing their effectiveness, partly as a result of their widespread use in livestock but also because of over-consumption by people who buy them over the counter in many countries. ”The solution lies in innovative partnerships between official bodies, civic society and the industry,” he concluded.
The Nordic Council has proposed an action plan for One Health, including political recommendations, co-ordination of knowledge and experiences and a plan for how the Region can help put the issue and Nordic solutions on the global agenda.
Read more about the One Health concept on the Nordic Council website
Download Andreas Heddini´s presentation from the conference (pdf 3 MB)
Watch the conference on Danish Folketinget webb TV (Nordic languages)
- 30 Nov 2015Highlight from World Antibiotic Awarenss Week: COLOR AND GAIETY MARKED THE ACTIVITIES IN THAILAND
- 20 Nov 2015ReAct activities during World Antibiotic Awareness Week: CYCLORIDE FOR ANTIBIOTICS IN ECUADOR
- 20 Nov 2015ReAct activities during World Antibiotic Awareness Week: Launch of "Gardening for Health Kit" in Thailand
- 19 Nov 2015ReAct activities during World Antibiotic Awareness Week: CHILREN AUTHORS OF MICROBIAL STORIES ON THE RADIO IN ECUADOR
- 19 Nov 2015ReAct activities during World Antibiotic Awareness Week: LESSONS 4 LIFE IN KENYA
- 17 Nov 2015News during World Antibiotic Awareness Week: REACT AMONG AUTHORS OF PRESTIGIOUS LANCET SERIES "ANTIMICROBIALS: ACCESS AND SUSTAINABLE EFFECTIVENESS"