ReAct Europe is looking for an expert in antibiotic resistance to quality assure our work and ensure that everything that is produced is scientifically correct.
About ReAct – Action on Antibiotic Resistance
ReAct is an international network dedicated to the fight against antibiotic resistance (ABR) and its consequences in low- and middle-income countries. This position is based in Uppsala, Sweden, but the candidate will be part of ReAct’s international network with regional offices based in the US, Ecuador, Kenya and India. Set up in 2005, ReAct works to raise awareness about the problem of antibiotic resistance and to identify and advocate for political action to address it. ReAct focuses in particular on developing and stimulating solutions that can ensure sustainable access to antibiotics in resource-limited contexts in low- and middle-income countries.
About the position
ReAct Europe is looking for an expert in antibiotic resistance to quality assure our work and ensure that everything that is produced is scientifically correct. Examples of work responsibilities of this position include:
- Critical assessment of new literature on antibiotic resistance and monitoring of scientific journals, media, scientific conferences and websites of relevant national and international institutions and organizations.
- Contributing to the strategic competence development of the scientific work of the whole network.
- Ensure the accuracy of ReAct’s evidence-based policy documents and fact sheets.
- Represent ReAct at national and international meetings.
Translation of scientific articles to more easily accessible policy messages when drafting newsletters and other external forms of communication.
- The continued updating of the web-based resource repository “ReAct Toolbox” with tools relevant for working with antibiotic resistance in low- and middle-income countries and contribute to its further strategic development
- Assist in writing of scientific and popular science articles, funding applications etc.
- Report on parts of ReAct’s work to funders.
- As the team is relatively small everyone is expected to help out with smaller administrative tasks – for example organization of meetings, travel booking etc.
ReAct is looking for a candidate with educational background in molecular- or microbiology, medical or pharmaceutical sciences with focus on antibiotic resistance, with a couple of years working experience within these fields. We are however also open to other related fields as long as the candidate has a sound knowledge of:
- Mechanisms of resistance in bacteria incl. genetic causes, selection of bacteria and how spreading occurs in bacteria, the environment, in society and the world as well as the underlying contributing factors.
- How antibiotics are used in health care, veterinary medicine and in the raising of animals for food production.
- Antibiotics and their alternatives.
- International initiatives to address antibiotic resistance.
- The global consequences of antibiotic resistance in particular how it affects low- and middle-income countries.
Moreover, the candidate should have:
- A high level of proficiency in written and spoken English which is the working language of ReAct.
- Demonstrable skills in taking own initiatives and successfully driving projects.
- Ability to translate complex issues, independently and together with others, to easily understandable and audience specific messages.
- Ability to travel.
- Experience from teaching, as well as strategic policy and political advocacy work in the field of global health is desirable.
- Working proficiency in Spanish is an advantage.
- Previous working experience with global health issues as well as international experience from international organizations and/or work in low- and middle-income countries is an advantage.
Being a small organization, much weight will be put on ability to take initiative, planning projects and collaboration skills when selecting the candidate. It is also important for us that the candidate identifies with ReAct’s values, vision and mission: https://www.reactgroup.org/
ReAct offers a diverse and international working environment with ample possibilities for the right candidate to make a difference in one of the most urgent global health challenges of our time.
About Uppsala University:
Uppsala University is an international research university focused on the development of science and education. Our most important assets are all the individuals who with their curiosity and their dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting work places. Uppsala University has 40,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6,5 billion.
Uppsala University seeks to ensure gender balance and diversity in all its activities in order to improve the quality of work at all levels of the organization. Uppsala University therefore welcome applicants of all genders, origin, functionality and life experience.
Placement: Uppsala University, Department for Medical Sciences
Pay: Individual salary
Starting: As soon as possible
Type of employment: 1 year with the possibility of extension
Working hours: 100 %
Deadline for applications: 16 November 2018.
Please apply through link https://uu.mynetworkglobal.com/en/ by November 16, 2018. Note we only accept applications submitted through the link.
Reference number: UFV-PA 2018/3610
For further information about the position please contact:
Acting Head of ReAct Europe, Helle Aagaard tel. +46 (0)702327360, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org